Thursday 25 June 2015

Minorities

Rationale

i am writing an interview to a white man who lived in South Africa during the Apartheid. His name is Michael Phillips; he was willing to answer all questions. This interview is really valuable, to inform other people about the situation in 1980 in South Africa.

Most people know how the situation was in South Africa in those days. That's why I interviewed a man who was an adult in 1980. He gaves his point of view about apartheid in South Africa and how he lived that moment.

South Africa Apartheid: An interview to Michael  Phillips

Today i'm here to interview Michael Phillips, a man who lived in South Africa during the Apartheid. He agreed to answer our questions about the South African Apartheid.

Reporter: Tell us about yourself and your life here in South Africa at that moment...

Michael: I work for African International Airways and I've been with them for 22 years. When Apartheid began, I lost my job and I had 3 children. I was very lucky thet I found a job in African International Airways. Serena, my wife was fortunate to get on board at German College as an English teacher. She loved teaching.

R: Now tell us about the situation in 1980 with the Apartheid...

M: Apartheid was a very unfair system. The perception of the rest of the world was that all white South African were racists. But, in fact there were a lot of us who were against the system. Unfortunately, lots of people in South Africa did nothing to change the system.

R: What was it like growing up in apartheid for friendships? I mean, having a friend of other skin colour...

M: It was very difficult, especially for my son Richard. First of all, the schools were segregates. Not only did he go to a whites only school, he went to a boys school. There was no interaction with black children. The South African government did not expect white and black children to integrate. It was also ilegal for whites and blacks to marry each other.

R: What was the purpose of apartheid?

M: I think there were a few reasons for apartheid. Whites felt superior to the blacks. They regarded blacks as uncivilized and themselves as better. But that was not so, well, that's what I think. This is a big question and it is not easy to answer.

R: Tell us about apartheid nowadays

M: We see discrimination every day. This systematic discrimination was about separatist development. Whites were considered the privileged race and had a better deal in every way. For me, it is wrong to speak about a superior race and an inferior race. We all have the same rights and me deserve a dignified life.

R: Thats it. It was a pleasure to have learned about the history of South Africa from another point of view. Thank you very much for your time.

M: The pleasure in mine. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment